Blog Archive

Friday, January 6, 2012

Foundation Highlight of the Month- Ways to Work

It's about that time again and It's tax time too, so I'm sure it should be easy to use that money to contribute to what you need to do to be more self sufficient. I'm sharing with you another program that will assist you in that.  I recently spoke with a rep from the Bartko Foundation (previous blog post) and he informed me that they will help if you go through certain programs like Ways to work or Community Auto.  I decided to highlight the Ways to Work program, because it is a program that is across the U.S and not just in Pittsburgh, you must live in the PA area for BF and CA foundations. W2W gives people with challenged incomes and credit the opportunity to get a low interest loan of up to $6000 towards transportation in order for them to stay in school or continue working. Here's a direct quote from their website as to their purpose, "As an asset-building and economic self-sufficiency program for underserved populations without access to conventional financial resources, Ways to Work helps families move off of and stay off welfare and dependency programs.  Instead of handouts, it provides families a helping hand-up toward a more stable financial future."

 Sometimes it can be difficult for people, especially those with children to get kids to daycare then go to school or work vice-versa everyday on the bus. Let's face it, without transportation, we are limited.  I have money saved up for a car and I am still saving but I have had a bad stroke of luck with unreliable cars, and now that I have a child being stuck on the side of the hwy is NOT an option for me if I can help it.  Also I'm not trying to pay a high car note on top of full coverage insurance at this point.  I'm trying to make smart purchases at this point in my life, it's not just about me any more. My 9 month old is my first thought when considering anything. This seems like a great program and as long as you meet the following criteria this can be of benefit to you.  If you have been employed at least 6 months OR in a post high school education program, AND a parent,AND unable to get a loan from a bank or credit union, AND you agree in writing to repay your loan to Ways to Work then you qualify.  If you are in PA you can apply to the Bartko foundation and use W2W to be your sponsor and if you qualify, that can knock about $3k off of your loan.  I just feel there are too many people struggling and there are programs out there to help people but no one knows about them to take advantage.  For those of you that would like to Donate to these programs click on either of these links Ways to Work and PA programs North Hills Community Outreach Community Auto and Bartko Foundation.

Find Ways to Work in your area click here.

♥♥♥ Have a productive and creative day!! ♥♥♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers